It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Comic Book Collecting
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:38 am 
MCGI Member

I've decided to start collecting comic books.

I wanted to when I was a kid but my parents never let me buy many, I have about 8 still from when I was a kid.

Next payday is on the 15th, so, Sunday... on Monday I'll toss my paycheck in the old back account and head on over to the comic book store and set up a subscription.

My favourites growing up were X-Men and Captain America, my favourite all time character being Gambit from the X-Men, so I'll probably go with the X-Men subscriptions. But I also like Superman, Batman and some others in the DC universe.

Anyway, does anyone here collect/read comics? I don't mean online stuff.

Post subject: Re: Comic Book Collecting
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:23 pm 
MCGI Member

I've started my collecting.

I bought Wolverine and the X-Men issue 8, I have 6 and 7 on hold at the comic store so I can get it when I get paid, all I need is 1-5 for back issues in the series. This series is about Wolverine running the mutant school.

I might add Uncanny X-Men to my subscriptions, which is a team of X-Men led by Cyclops, as well as some other X-Men comics that are out, there's a limited run of Avengers Vs. The X-Men out now that I might consider getting.

I bought some boards and plastic covers for the comics that I already had. I'll probably get a proper box for them next week.

There's also a comic book convention this month in Vancouver that I'd like to go to just to look around.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:11 am 
Site Admin

I had a collection but it just got too big to keep up with so I stopped. I bagged and put some of the comics with interesting covers up along the wall. I've heard avengers vs xmen is supposed to start soon. If you like cap and xmen that might be up your alley.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:02 am 
MCGI Member

Yeah, it started this month actually, I think I might grab them all if they're still at the comic store.

I've got a list of back issues that I want to search for with Gambit as the lead. He was the title character in a few series, I have #1 of a 4 issue run from 1997, but he was also in a number of others. So I'm on the look out.

I'm going to get a comic box on payday and pick up some more comics at the comic store, and see if I can find some of the back issues I want at the store and at the convention.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:40 pm 
MCGI Member

I got a check from the government and my paycheck today, so I have myself some spending cash for the comic convention.

I can't deposit my paycheck until the 15th, which is this Sunday, but I can cash my government check and get over to the comic store today. So I'm looking for some socks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

You can't cash your paycheck until the 15th?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:01 am 
MCGI Member

My pay day is the 15th, but my check arrived in the mail yesterday.

I'm not sure if this is a complete list, but here's the list of comics I'd like to have subscriptions to...

The Astonishing X-Men
- - This one as of the newest issue, 48, which I bought yesterday and subscribed to, is about Wolverine, Gambit, and some other mutants.

Wolverine and the X-Men
- - This one is about the mutant school now run by Wolverine at the location once used by Professor X to train mutants. This is the first one I subscribed to.

I'm interested in these ones but not as interested in the ones above...

The Uncanny X-Men
- - This one is about a group of mutants with Cyclops as their leader on an island called Utopia off the coast of San Francisco.

X-Men: Legacy
- - This one is about the mutant school on the island Utopia which is led by Rogue.

X-Men
- - This one has various story arcs that have the X-Men meeting up with other characters from the Marvel Universe, like Blade, Spider-Man, Ghost Rider, etc.

I'm not as interested in these ones, but they might be an interesting read.

X-Factor Investigations
- - This is a mutant detective agency

Uncanny X-Force
- - This one has Deadpool and Wolverine and a few others

New Mutants
- - This one is associated with Uncanny X-Men and Cyclops' group in San Francisco and deals with a group of teen mutants.

There are also some comics they put out that deal with specific mutant characters, Deadpool and Wolverine I think are the only current ones.

I'll probably keep the 2 subscriptions I have made already and search for all the back issues, and then get into some other ones later.

I'm interested in finding some non-Marvel/non-DC series comics, out there but I'm not sure what way to go with them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

I've never been much into xmen, I am more of a spider-man fan.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:24 am 
MCGI Member

I like spider-man as well.

I wish I could subscribe to all the Marvel comics that I'm interested in, X-Men, Avengers, and all the character ones, might one day, but it'd probably be about $100 a month for all the subscriptions. I think it's probably best to focus on a few, get the some of the back issues and then expand into more later.

Since X-Men is my favourite I'm starting there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:33 pm 

I can´t say I´m a collector, but I read a few comics from time to time. In the past, it was more common to me. I collected the old "The six million dollar man" comics, but discard them years ago.
I still have a few issues of old Star Trek (end of 70´s), Metalzoic (80´s), Alien Legion (80´s), but I prefer the illustrated scifi books, like the ones about TTA (Terran Trade Authority - http://iansales.com/2012/03/18/galactic ... the-1970s/).