It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Star Trek (2009)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:42 pm 
MCGI Member

So, yeah, this is about the movie and the technology and whatever.

The Narada: Why would a "simple mining vessel" be so heavily armed? Easy answer... The Dominion War... The Narada went back in time in 2387, 12 years after the Dominion War. Just like Merchant Marine ships during WWI and WWII the Narada was likely equipped with heavier armaments because it would have been required to operate with limited support during the war in order to bring enough raw materials back to Romulus to continue the war efforts.

The Enterprise: There's conflicting sizes out there about the Enterprise... some say 295m others say 725m... what number is more likely the case? Well some people say 295m is the better number because if it was 725m it'd only have windows every couple of decks... But let me ask you this... Have you ever seen a real life Navy ship with all that many windows? Heck no, the majority of windows on a Navy ship are around the bridge, so I think 725m is a good length. Is it realistic to think that the U.S.S Enterprise, flagship of Starfleet would be smaller than the U.S.S Enterprise carrier used by the U.S Navy? I don't think so. So if you ever hear/see me talking about reimagined trek ships based on the 2009 Trek system... I will be scaling them at 2.5 times the original design, so if I do my reimagined Galaxy class it'll be about 1.6km long. As for those windows being sparse, think about it, would you want to be flying around on a ship with hundreds of little weak points like that? I sure wouldn't... so yeah, less windows=good.

I'm gonna keep posting random stuff since nobody else is posting anything.

Post subject: Re: Star Trek (2009)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:37 pm 
MCGI Member

I know people have complained about touch screen computers in the Trek reboot because they didn't have touch screens and flashy monitors and all that in the TOS in the 1960's...

Well, I like it like that, Star Trek is supposed to have a futuristic feel to it, if it was all toggles and buttons and dials like the 1960's Trek it would look like the future to someone from the 1960's. When you watch old episodes of TOS do you look at it and say "man those computers are powerful" no, you look at it and say "my phone has a faster CPU than the Enterprise"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:55 am 
MCGI Member

I think there's going to be a generational divide on the new Trek for a long time to come. That of course is a generalization and not necessarily true for everyone from every generation, but for the most part, the biggest 'complainers' are those who watched TOS when it first aired, and as I've seen even some of 'our' generation who feel the same way. For the most part, folks of our generation are 'caught in the middle,' based on the discussions I've had about the new Trek with peers my age. Many don't like the new Trek, many do. And then there's people like me, who loved some aspects of the new, and hated others ;) For the most part, it seems like the youngest generations like the new Trek the most, even if they'd seen the old one before. I think the biggest reason for that is they've pretty much grown up watching remakes and prequels. They don't have a problem because they've seen remakes before originals, and found that they couldn't even stand to watch the originals after that (I equate it to how I'll see a movie, like it, read the novel, and in some cases, never watch the movie again ;) )

Whether or not people have problems with making the technology look 'newer' than the original TOS, same thing, age groups can make it somewhat predictable what someone's opinion on touch screens in the 2009 Trek is going to be. Most (again, not all) older folks hate that they updated the technology. Most of the youngest folks don't care, or even like that they did that.

~Jon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:02 pm 
MCGI Member

Exactly.

I grew up on TNG, but as a bit of a tech geek that likes playing with touch screen computers, and having a desk top computer that could probably operate the TOS enterprise and still have processing power left over I kinda like seeing the more future of now look instead of the future of 1960.