It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: City Simulator
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:05 pm 
MCGI Member

I've almost got the zooming function finished... it's weird though, bit of a glitch in my coding I'm trying to fix, when you zoom in or out as far as you can it freezes and won't zoom in or out anymore.

CAMERA FUNCTIONS
default 22.5° viewing angel - FINISHED
horizontal camera rotation on left mouse click - FINISHED
zoom with scroll wheel - IN PROGRESS, STILL BUGGY
vertical camera rotation (probably while holding right mouse button) - SOON
move camera to centre on location where you double click - SOON
return to default viewing angel - SOON
horizontal rotation with GUI - SOON
zoom with GUI - SOON
move camera to centre on location clicked on GUI Map - SOON
-- might add some more functions later --

TERRAIN FUNCTIONS
-- this is going to be my next project after my camera movements are completed --
smooth hill tool
smooth valley tool
jagged mountain tool
jagged canyon tool
flattening tool

ROADS & RAILS
-- after I get the terrain sculpting tools working I'll start on roads and rails --
single lane roads
one way roads
various lane number combinations
intersection types
bridges
tunnels
elevated rail
mono rail
ground rail
subway rail
etc

DROPPED BUILDINGS
emergency services
train stations
bus stations
etc

ZONING
residential
commercial
industrial
mixed
etc

I've already started working on some of the coding I'll need for things beyond the camera controls, but if I can get it up to the zoning bit and have basic functions down for all of what I've listed, I might be able to pop out a release of this.

Anyway... I'm going to keep working.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:20 am 
MCGI Member

I decided that I didn't need zooming because it's going to be 3D, all I need is camera movements... getting up close and rotating the camera... I also decided that locking the viewing angle wasn't a good idea either... only reason that'd be good would be for simulating 2.5D.

So updates...

CANCELLED CAMERA FUNCTIONS
default 22.5° viewing angle
horizontal camera rotation on left mouse click - Switched to modified mouse look
zoom with scroll wheel
vertical camera rotation (probably while holding right mouse button) - Switched to modified mouse look
return to default viewing angel - don't need this with modified mouse look
zoom with GUI - not doing this anymore
horizontal rotation with GUI - not doing this anymore

CAMERA FUNCTIONS
mouse look when holding left mouse button - FINISHED
move camera to centre on location where you double click - SOON
-- might add some more functions later --
-- I realized I need to figure out how to make a map of the terrain in the GUI too --

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:06 pm 
MCGI Member

CAMERA FUNCTIONS
mouse look when holding left mouse button - FINISHED
move camera to centre on location where you double click - WIP

I've managed to get the thing to identify when I double click on the terrain or other objects, I had it move the camera a bit but it didn't work right, so I'm still working on that. I also found a way to let the player drop an object onto the terrain, so that's one step in the right direction as far as placing buildings, roads and other stuff goes. If I make some more progress with that I'll post a few screen shots or a video or something to show that I'm actually doing stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:20 pm 
MCGI Member

CAMERA FUNCTIONS
Mouse Look while holding left mouse button - FINISHED
rotates to location where you double click - FINISHED
Camera moves to location on GUI Map - After I get a working map.
Camera always remains X units above terrain - FINISHED

Contemplating if I should have double click to rotate camera also move the camera forward X units, but I don't think I will do that.

I had to add the X units above terrain so when you move towards a hill you don't go through the hill.

I'm going to wait on the GUI map because it's going to need to show stuff on it that I haven't done yet.

I'm not sure if I want to take on the terrain yet, so I think I'll start with some object placement. Now, object placement is going to be rather useful for various purposes... here's my list of some things that object placement will allow players to do.

Terrain decoration: Trees, boulders, stuff like that.
Building placement
Road placement
and so on...

I'm thinking once I get the road system in place I want some sort of "Snap to road" feature for buildings so when you place something it snaps the assigned front of the building to the road, I also want to be able to rotate objects prior to placement.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:54 am 
MCGI Member

I got the scroll wheel zoom working thanks to some help from the Unity community.
I'm thinking I'll use it, and keep the camera height at X units above the terrain, so you can zoom in and not pass through buildings.

I don't want to worry about collision detection until later on when I make it so you can actually drive around the streets or fly a plane around it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:19 am 
MCGI Member

I've decided that the game will be 1/100 scale... so in game 1m is 100m, obvious math, easy to figure out...

I made a tapered cube in Lightwave and exported it to the correct format, it's 1/100 the size of the Burj Khalifa, up to the top most point, then I locked the camera height just slightly above the top of the tower.

Most of my work so far has been with camera angles, rotations and zooms, but I'm starting on the more complex stuff.

I'm not sure if I want to keep the double click to look at function for the camera, but I do want to be able to double click on something and get a pop up window with information.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:39 am 
MCGI Member

I'm looking at different ways to make the terrain work.

1. I could have one big terrain.
2. I could have tiled terrain.

Number 2 I think might be the best option, it would allow me to create a whole bunch of cubes that would be something like 10m X 10m in game size, and would make it so much easier to have player modified landscaping. This doesn't mean I'd have to snap buildings and roads and such to the grid of tiles, but I could provide that as an option...

I think that's what I'll do... a bunch of tiles... I'm going to get started on that right now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:20 pm 
MCGI Member

I got it to generate grids of tiles, I can pick how many tiles too, so I can do a 5x5 or 20x20 or 200x200 and so on...

I'm going to have to rethink my scale a bit though, and rework my camera scripts to know where the tops of the tiles are. But it was worth it.

Now I need to make some scripts so each tile knows what the one next to it is doing, that way I can do some terrain modifications rather than just modifying a single tile.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:31 pm 
MCGI Member

I tried making the 64x64 tile layout like the smallest layout in SC4, but it crashed the render... how fun is that?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:39 pm 
MCGI Member

I was just thinking about tools, like bulldozers, road and structures and all that fun stuff, trying to think how to get them in game...

I realized something, I should treat them as weapons... There's lots of shooting games out there with many different weapons to choose from, and each of these weapons does something different...

So what I need to do is make each one like a weapon... you equip the landscaping gear to change the terrain... you equip the construction gear to build the roads and other buildings, etc, etc...

I'm also thinking I should involve some sort of Level of Detail system... with maybe 3 or 4 models for each structure... and max out the number of polygons it'll accept for buildings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next