It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: City Simulator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:23 pm 
MCGI Member

I want to be able to create a massive landscape for city building that players can keep making bigger and bigger, but have it load with what Unity calls Additive Asynchronous Loading, the bad part is that feature of Unity is only available in Unity Pro, which for now I'm not willing to purchase because I'm still learning how to use it, so I will be making my simulator load in 20x20 KM city sizes for now, and when I advance in my skills I will buy Unity Pro and implement the Asynchronous Loading.

It's not really a setback because I'm a long way from trying to add in Asynchronous Loading anyway.

I've managed to include something to let the player bump up the terrain a bit, but I'm still working on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:07 am 
MCGI Member

So I'm getting pretty good at working with Unity, and it'd be super easy to make a 3D shooter game or side scrolling Mario game with it, but as for a city simulator like I want to make it's not that good.

I'm looking into creating my own game engine using libraries like OpenGL and others. If I do that it means I need to learn C++ and maybe some C, but it's not that hard to learn, I've made a few programs already this morning in C++.

I'll be looking into resources for that over the next few days, maybe I'll post something I make in a YouTube video or something.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:02 pm 
MCGI Member

So I'm now working with Xcode 3.2.6 with SDL and OpenGL.

So far all I've managed to do is get some sprite to show up on the screen.

It's a learning project, but it's fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:32 am 
MCGI Member

I've managed to create a window using all OpenGL stuff without SDL, which is good because SDL can't handle 3D graphics as well as OpenGL, SDL is more for 2D games.

I think my next steps should be in this order now...

1. Get a 3D graphic to appear on screen.
2. Get a 3D graphic to move around on screen using mouse and keyboard inputs.
3. Saving the game.
4. Reshaping the ground.
5. Drawing roads on the ground.
6. Placing buildings on the ground.
7. Painting zones on the ground.
8. Then I'll work on doing algorithms and such for population growth and all that fun stuff.

List will be subject to change.

I found a few programs that inspired me to keep going.

UrbanSim, it's an academic program for predicting development, but it's 3d and looks like it could be a video game if someone wanted to do it that way, it's free and open source, so I might take a look at it.

I found a video Procedural Road Generator for Houdini on youtube that makes me think I'll have to try for that sort of idea in the game... it had control nodes and such, where you can grab onto a part or all of a road and drag it down so it's a sunken road, or up so it's raised, or curve the roads to no end, it's very cool.

And I found a program called CityEngine that lets game developers make their own cities quickly using procedural modelling.

So I'm sold on procedural modelling for my project, I just need to figure out how to program it... nuts...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:04 pm 
MCGI Member

I'm making some good progress as far as learning how to program goes.

I'm getting fewer warnings when I compile my source codes and getting faster at figuring out why I'm getting certain warnings and then fixing them.

Right now I'm using OpenGL and SFML, both are good for cross-platform and work nicely together.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:06 am 
MCGI Member

I'm still working on this project, though my priority has switched from brainstorming game ideas to actually learning how to program, hence my other thread mentioning education and computer hardware and so on.

I might even think about working with some other folk that have some progress on their own city simulators.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:07 am 
MCGI Member

As I learn more I keep rethinking how to make a game the best way.

I'm thinking Top-Down is something I should be doing... and have been doing by sharing all the information I have already.

Knowing what the user is going to see in the game is key in knowing what I need to program.

Game Window
- User Interface
-- Buttons for various functions
- Playing area
-- 2.5/3D behind U/I

Game Systems
- Traffic
- Education
- Zoning
- Growth
- Terrain

I think after I get myself that laptop I might be able to start working on this even more seriously.

I've been learning that it's a lot easier to program games on a Windows machine then it is to program games on a Mac... at least if I want the cross platform games with OpenGL in C++ and not little Java games that run slower. Especially since this is a big game, I want to use the language that is the least resource intensive.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:27 am 
MCGI Member

My thoughts about windows being easier to program games aren't really all that accurate, there's more tools around for windows, tools which I don't really need. And Mac is more than able to do it all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:34 am 
MCGI Member

I've started programming this game now, no more practice.

I've made a random name generator that whenever you run it it creates a new name, either male or female.

I'm going to make it pick out an occupation sector, income range, education level and so on. It will all have to be linked, and will need to be tweaked later on when I make it work with other parts of the game.

But it's a start and it's proving to me that it can be done.

Because it's all going to be broken down into individual little programs that all work together it's going to make it easier to develop and test.

I think I should make a chart or something up with the different things I need to make for this game to work.

I forget what the planning system used for programming is called, it has a specific name, it's where you graphically map out what you need to do to make it all work... I'm sure google will point me in the right direction.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:45 am 
MCGI Member

I'm working in Unity again.

Since I'm getting better at coding I've decided to jump back into it and see what I can make it do.

I got a camera set up to rotate and move the way I wanted it to work, I couldn't use the scripts that came with the engine to do it the way I wanted so I had to make my own script for it.

it's set up so the camera is always looking down at a 22.5°, but you can look around in 360°. I'm going to set it up so the 22.5° is the default viewing angle but let the user change the angle to anything they want and just have a button that snaps it back to 22.5°, or have them hold down a button to view other angles and when they let it go it snaps back, I haven't decided what way to go yet.

I'm going to set up zooming now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next