It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: City Simulator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:15 am 
MCGI Member

I've found a website that has a bunch of middleware for Unity... it's all stuff you need to pay for though, so I'm gonna go broke.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:35 pm 
MCGI Member

So, I'm trying to put all my ideas into a better format... something like a catalog or whatever.

So I'm putting it together in a quick HTML document with links and all that fun stuff just so I can keep my thoughts organized.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:08 pm 
MCGI Member

I was just playing Sim City Societies Destinations... it's a horrid game... it was produced by a company called Tilted Mill and published by EA.

Visually it has some appeal, but the game play is lacking. The building placement method is all ploppables, no zoning and growing lots, you place a house, place a business, place a venue, and they all function together to keep your Sims happy, employed, and housed, which in concept sounds fine for a city simulator, but it really isn't the greatest system, at least not the way it works in that game.

I think a better method would be to let the player zone something, or plop something if he or she wants.

Like zone for residential and tell the game to build single family homes at a certain density (#/hectare) and then tell it what home design styles to use... like A-Frame, farmhouse, rancher, etc, and allow the player to pick specific home designs to fill those lots. Notice how it's a choice?

Most of my idea revolves around the game seeming like a SimCity 4 clone but in 3D instead of 2D, with a heck load of more advanced functionality accessed in the game to add more depth to the simulation.

Like my roads idea for example would lay the road down in the default pattern, meaning it conforms to the bumps and hills, more advanced features would let you select a stretch of road from point A to point B and tell it how to grade that road if it's hilly... like cut down into the ground, raise the ground, change to over land bridges, stuff like that all while giving you various styles and methods to chose from.

I want to have a random name generator in the game that assigns a made up name to a citizen when you examine him or her, the examination would reveal details about the citizen like where they live, work, go(went) to school and what level of education they've received, where they shop and all the paths they take and how often they take them, annual income, and various other personal facts that might help the player make changes to their cities to better the lives of their citizens.

Another advanced feature would be having the game tell you suggested public transit routes.

I might be repeating some stuff, which is why I'm going through it all and organizing it in a word document with a table of contents.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:33 am 
MCGI Member

I'm looking around for other simulators that have features similar to the things that I would like mine to do, and found one simulator that sells the Educational version for $485 for a single license, $3500 for the Researcher version, $6199 for the Advanced version and $15800 for the Professional version.

It simulates many things that I'd like to implement in my game, such as traffic pattern simulation and control... both pedestrian and vehicular... airport usage, subway station throughput, and a bunch of other stuff...

I'm planning on making the basic version available for at the least free, at the most $50... and then making more advanced features available.

But $15800 is nuts... And it's not even a city simulator, it just simulates individual things in little windows with poor quality graphics.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

i think those ones are less games and more city planning programs buddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:26 pm 
MCGI Member

Yes, and I want that kind of functionality in my system, but for a lot less money.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:48 pm 
MCGI Member

So, an update on this little project...

I've migrated everything over to MacOS, I'm no longer going to be using Windows for anything except maybe testing cross platform game play.

I've got all the software up and running for game development, Lightwave, Photoshop, Unity, and some other art and programming software.

I'm working on a GUI for the game right now, doing some concept art for the buttons and such, I'll be making a thread in the Art section for my GUI and other graphics as well as actual game progress and keeping this thread for concept ideas that I feel like sharing as I go.

I'm going to get some webspace and a URL after I finalize a name for this thing.

Anyway... I'll probably show off some GUI concepts in the next day or two.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:28 am 
MCGI Member

I'm just gonna post my WIP stuff in here...

This one is bigger then it would appear on screen.

This is the icon for accessing the terrain modification tools, so making mountains, rivers, valley's, lakes, etc.

I'm starting with this icon because that's the game functions that I'm working on first.

I think it looks a little like the Motorola symbol... it's supposed to be two mountain peaks, I might switch it to use a picture of an actual mountain, but I'm not sure yet.

Attachment:
terrain button.jpg
terrain button.jpg [ 30.98 KiB | Viewed 2548 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:46 am 
MCGI Member

I've been going over my notes and trying to come up with how I want to go about the game graphics, either full 3D or 2.5D.

For 2.5 my camera angles for the game will be elevated, pointing down at the playing surface... 8 views will be at a 45 degree angle from the surface with various zoom levels, the 8 views being N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, and NW... plus there will be a camera angle directly overhead of the scene with various zoom levels giving you a sort of Google satellite view. Each game model will be rendered from 17 directions including one directly above, that way buildings will be able to grow or be placed on normal N/S, E,W roads as well as on 22.5 degree angles, 45 degree angles and 67.5 degree angles. Sim City 4 takes 4 angled shots for buildings.

For 3D with full on meshes in game and having a NE, SE, SW, and NW camera angles set, plus a top down camera view that's set, as well as a free floating camera view so you can look around like you're walking the city streets, driving a car, riding a train, boating, or flying around.

I'm leaning towards the 3D option because it allows for some greater flexibility in game play, and lets me eliminate the grid system all together so nothing has to follow a specific grid unless you want it to follow a specific grid. In fact I think having grid settings would be a good idea, allowing the player to set up a sort of "snap to" grid like in Photoshop that can be set to any angle from north the player wants.

Oh, and I'm working on a way to give players access to terrain editing tools right now, it's going pretty good I think. Might have something to show there soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:46 am 
MCGI Member

I've created a quick little in game GUI for the introduction to the game, like selecting land for your own nation and all that, it doesn't do much yet, but it lets you load different pre-made terrains into a game window for playing.

I'll be trying some different things over the next few days to get some of the game play elements into it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next